Today, I’d like to take a moment to thank Mark Fidelman and MindTouch, Inc, who have taken the time to highlight the positive impact and the importance of Social Media in our Technical Communications industry.
In a new Blog post, MindTouch has listed the Top 25 Most Influential Bloggers in Technical Communications and I’m very honored to have made the list and be among great company.
Social Media continues to redefine the way we communicate and I’m extremely excited to see that more and more Technical Communicators are embracing this revolution.
As the amount of information doubles faster than ever before, someone has to make sense of this data, and this presents an opportunity for Technical Communicators to take on a new role, as Information Curators. This is someone with a greater degree of product and services knowledge, who is well connnected, and who shares the best and most up-to-date content with his or her web community.
John Naisbitt put it best: “We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.”
If you have been looking for the right moment to embrace Social Media, now is that time!
Here are some action items that I often recommend in my presentations on the topic of Social Media:
- Make a plan to become the Information Curator for your products and services
- Open an account on Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Follow other Technical Communicators on Twitter. MindTouch has created a Twitter List of the Top 25 most influential bloggers in Technical Communications HERE. Also, I have been compiling a list of Technical Communicators on Twitter HERE.
- Search for your Brand and Products on http://search.twitter.com and join the conversation
- Start a Blog
- Find the influencers of your products and connect with them
- Watch the Social Media Revolution video on YouTube.
- Read Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business by Erik Qualman (amazon link)
- Watch a recording of an eSeminar I hosted entitled Twitter for Technical Communicators
- And most of all, Social Media is fun, embrace it and enjoy it!
In closing, a very personal thank you to all who read my blog and follow me on Twitter!